York’s Handball Club announce EHA affiliation

Image: UYHC Facebook Page

The University of York Handball Club (UYHC) announced today via Facebook that it will be an affiliated member of the England Handball Association (EHA) for the 2018/19 season. The permutations of this announcement will be that the UYHC Men’s and Women’s teams will be competing in each of their EHA Regional League North in 2018/19.

The Women’s team will be contending with the Newcastle Vikings, Liverpool, the University of Leeds and Manchester. The Men’s side will be competing with Manchester II, the University of Leeds and Newcastle Vikings.

UYHC’s last Roses win in 2015. Image: James Hostford

UYHC will be looking to build the momentum to end a three-year losing streak at Roses for both the Men’s and Women’s teams. The club’s last victory was an 18-17 home victory for the Women’s team in the 50th anniversary Roses tournament back in 2015. York went on to win the tournament with 227.5 points to Lancaster’s 141.5.

York Sport President Zac Sheppard had this to say: “I’m really pleased that the club has managed to join the EHA league next season. As handball is not currently a BUCS sport, it will give them a fantastic opportunity for regular match practice that will help both the men’s and women’s team progress. Hopefully, the extra matches will improve the club and give them a great chance of getting one over on Lancaster this year!”.