York ranked 9th in Europe for teaching

This is according to Times Higher Education who had placed York as 60th in their Europe University Rankings

The University of York has been named as joint-ninth in the annual Times Higher Education (THE) Europe Teaching Rankings. This ranking is the latest accolade for York’s teaching, which was awarded a Gold ranking (the highest rank possible) in the government’s Teaching Excellence Framework in June.

THE Europe Teaching rankings specifically focus on the teaching quality of the institution whereas the more comprehensive THE Europe University Rankings also include the quality of research done by the institution. In the latter, York placed 60thin the list published in September 2017.

Although these rankings are more specifc, the vast difference between York’s Europe University rank of 60th and the Europe Teaching rank of tied-ninth could represent that the University of York is of a significantly higher standard for undergraduates, who are taught, than the Europe University Rankings suggest.

Image: Edwin Barnes

When asked for comment, YUSU Academic Officer James Hare told Nouse: “I’m incredibly happy to hear that York is ranked 9th in the Times Higher Education Europe Teaching Rankings.”

“This result is particularly pleasing when considering that 40 percent of the score is based around student engagement showing that our students feel listened to, which is testament to the strong working relationship between YUSU and the University.”

“Myself and the rest of the officer team look forward to building upon this result going forward, as we continue to develop our student voice strategy to ensure the best possible opportunities for our students to engage with the University.”

When asked for comment by Nouse, Professor John Robinson, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Teaching, Learning and Students, said: “We are delighted to be 9th in the THE’s University Teaching Rankings for Europe. This is a well-deserved testimony to the excellence of our staff, our students and our programmes of learning. There are many different ways of measuring teaching quality and none of them is perfect.”
“But we aim to be strong across the board. The THE accolade stacks alongside others – our high performance in student surveys, our TEF Gold Award, the success of our students in gaining graduate level jobs – and confirms that York is a leading place to study, not just within the UK, but across Europe.”

The next edition of THE’s World University Rankings is due in September 2018.

1. Chay Quinn, thanks! And thanks for sharing your great posts every week!http://viagraoqwi.com/