Love York Awards receives record level of nominations

Image: YUSU

The Love York Awards have this year received a record number of nominations, with 645 received by YUSU, almost double last year’s total of 380 nominations. The awards, which this year are taking place at the Joseph Rowntree theatre, aim to celebrate the best in the student body and their achievements. 638 nominations were received in 2016 – the previous record total – with 335 received in 2015 and 442 in 2014.

The theme for this year’s ceremony, due to be held on Thursday 7 June, is Community – perhaps particularly notable in the wake of the policy submission by YUSU Community and Wellbeing Officer Mia Shantana Chadhuri-Julyan to spin Community off into its own Sabbatical Officer position – with the venue of the Joseph Rowntree theatre chosen to highlight the links between the University and the City and the importance of the cooperation between these two partners.

Categories up for grabs in this year’s awards include Contribution to Student Wellbeing, which was last year claimed by former LGBTQ+ Officer Jaz Liddell, the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Award, last year claimed by the then relatively new University of York Memes, and Campaign of the Year, last year claimed by the University of York Women’s Rugby Club for their work in raising awareness on sexual abuse and sexual violence.

This year’s ceremony also includes some new gongs up for grabs, with the addition of a College Sport Award, which aims to ‘recognise the valuable contribution collegiate level sport makes to the student community.’ The Extra Mile Award has also been expanded this year, with each of the five YUSU Sabbatical Officers rewarding a student who has made a valuable contribution to the University across a range of activities, based on their own sabbatical remits.

Furthermore, another new award is included, the Honorary Achievement for Outstanding Contribution to the City of York. This award will be determined via a campus ballot, asking students to vote for an organisation within the city which is making a ‘significant positive impact’ on students’ lives.

Student Activities Officer Mikey Collinson told Nouse that “I am SO happy with the quantity and quality of nominations for this year’s Love York Awards, smashing the record with a huge 645 nominations! Students achieve incredible things, and I’m incredibly pleased to see so many people nominated for such a wide range of awards. I’m really excited to celebrating and recognising some fantastic students on the 7th June. The judging panel have definitely got a tough job on their hands!”