New YUSU officer team elected

Image: Dan Powell

5753 students voted in the YUSU elections. The Full Time Officer (FTO) team will be led by James Durcan, who won the role of Union President, and they will assume their roles in July. The Part Time Officer (PTO) team however will be taking on their roles from the beginning of summer term. Re-open nominations (RON) also saw a surge in popularity, coming second in the presidential results with 1639 votes to Durcan’s 2124.

The other winners of the sabbatical positions were James Hare for Academic Officer, Finn Judge for Student Activities Officer, Steph (Effy) Hayle for Community and Wellbeing Officer, and Zac Sheppard for York Sport President. Although current students can become sabbatical officers, all five are third years and will be graduating before taking the position. They will also have their picture put on the 66 buses that shepherd students between the University and town.

All but two of the PTO roles were filled, with International Students’ Officer and the Volunteering Officer positions lacking candidates. The new position of Working Class Officer will be filled by the partnership between Connor Drake and Sean Price-Regan. Similarly, the role of BAME Officer will be shared by Nayomi Karthigesu and Hannah Joseph-Asikhia, and the Disabled Students’ Officer went to Chloe Hann and Scarlett Bacchus-O’Callaghan. Other partnered PTO positions were the RAG Officers, Elina Kukk and Lucy Waldre and the Women’s Officers, which went to Nadine Smith and Sophie Meehan. Oscar Bentley won the position of Environment and Ethics Officer.

Faculty Representative elections were successful for Sciences candidate Zoe Disley, but the Arts and Humanities position had ‘RON’ as the winner and will have new candidates nominated in a by-election. Similarly, the candidates for NUS Delegates had RON win two of the available five positions. The successful candidates were Maryam Taher, James Eyerman, and Jack Galea. Josh Mackenzie won the role of Policy Coordinator and will start his role in the summer term, while Maryam Taher and Christian Stickles won the Student Trustees positions and will start from 21 June 2018.

The coming by-election will feature the positions of Faculty Representative for Social Sciences, and the two unfulfilled PTO positions. The vacancy of the International Students Officer is especially prominent as Has’san Suhail, third-place in the Presidential elections, was the former International Students Officer. Finn Judge told Nouse, “I’m ecstatic to have been elected Activities Officer, I can’t wait to give it my all and make extra-curricular activities more affordable. It was a gruelling process, but listening and speaking to so many students gave me the internal motivation to win. I now know what needs to be done, and have a fantastic team to begin that journey with.”

James Hare, soon to be Academic Officer, shared these sentiments: “I’m still somewhat shocked to have been elected, but I couldn’t be happier and can’t wait to get to work. It was a very stressful two weeks but worth it in the end – now it’s time to focus on a long year of getting stuff done.”

Steph Hayle responded to her new position of Community and Wellbeing Officer, saying, “I’m really overjoyed at the turnout and the result. Winning in the first round and receiving over 2200 votes was utterly incredible and I cannot wait to start work. The campaign was tough but I’m so glad all the hard work paid off.”

Zac Sheppard, the incoming York Sport President, said, “I’m delighted to be elected in what was a close race against a good mate, can’t wait to get started next in July!”

James Durcan gave this statement: “I’m absolutely delighted to have been elected as President. We’ve got a great team that is really going to open up YUSU, listen to students and give them a voice. The elections have given us a great mandate to improve our students union and I can’t wait to get started”.