What’s the word on the street (style)?

Nouse hits the street at LFW

Street style is a real art because sometimes, even if you see an artist of style, you have to caution yourself and make a judgement as to whether they will receive your approach.

This piece delves deep into the street style of LFW as we encounter a variety of characters, all with their own unique style story. We’ll take you on a journey of discovery so buckle up ‘cause the trends are lit and the flame ain’t dying.

No caution was needed with the interception of Victor, Max and Raphael, who were more than happy to open up about their stylistic choices.

So I posed the same question to all three of these fine fellows:

Peter: (to Max) Who are you wearing and why?

Max: I am wearing full A-Cold-Wall. This is A-Cold-Wall sample jacket, A-Cold-Wall hoodie, these are A-Cold-Wall tracksuit bottoms. These are Raf Simons trainers. I’m a fan of the kind of industrial vibe that Sammy Ross creates with the brand. The rough around the edges look is something I’m going for with the loose threads hanging down.

P: (to Victor) Who are you wearing and why?

Victor: Supreme, North Face Denali fleece, my old brand Dirty Rich Apparel (t-shirt). My trousers are Yohji Yamamoto. Vetements Socks and Air Max 98 shoes. We went out last night so still hungover. I wanted to dress comfortable but stylish so I traded some shoes for this jacket. I really love the comfortable and out there vibe and I wanted to put a bit of colour into it, because I always wear black so I wanted to mix it up.

P: Are you a model?

V: I’m a model but not walking today. I’m a student.

P: (to Raphael) Who you wearing and why?

Raphael: I’m going vintage today. I was working at LFW today so wanted the casual relaxed vibe. I’m really going for that oversized vibe. Got this shirt at a shop in Brick lane. This is a Carhartt undershirt. These shoes are Nike F black Air Forces.  

P: What’s going on with the buttons?

R: I’m going for the semi-preppy look. I thought I’ll do a couple of buttons but not all of them. I was gonna do the top button but I took it off.

P: Why vintage?

R: At LFW, there are a lot of quirky people but I wanted to go old school. A lot of people at LFW are very out there and I was like that yesterday but today I wanted that relaxed vibe. I just feel more vintage today.

Later, I decided it would be prudent to look closer to home. I was lucky enough to be staying in a big house in Chelsea and so I reckoned I was bound to pop into a looker walking down the street…

Peter: Hi there, I’m just outside my Chelsea residence, and I’m gonna do some London street style to see how LFW is affecting the wider London public. So hopefully we’ll find some saucy individuals with some jazzy outfits. Alright, come with me. I think I’ve found the one! Hello there!

TK: Oh hi!

P: Isn’t this jazzy! So it’s LFW, what made you wear this outfit?

TK: Is it London Fashion Week?

P: You didn’t know? Yes it is! You dress like this normally?

TK: Yeah, of course.

P: Is this your general fashion?

TK: Yeah! I think it’s important to be out there and make yourself stand out a little bit from the crowd because how you look is how you present yourself to the world and it’s also how you feel.

P: That’s so deep.

TK: If you feel good in what you wear then you’re more confident and you’re ready to take on whatever the world throws at you.

P: Perfect, first person we met and he’s great.

TK: Thank you!

Back in the Strand, Bunmi’s dynamic, technicolour look instantaneously caught our eye. After speaking to her, we found her to be as fashionable as her occupation demands and as vivid and vibrant as the colours she wears.

Peter: What brings you to London Fashion Week this year? Do you have a casual interest in fashion?

Bunmi: I’m a stylist! I work freelance, so it’s very up and down – comme ci, comme ça. Sometimes, there’s a lot of work and sometimes, there isn’t. I’ve attended LFW every year for the last three years. But I’m more particular about the shows I go to now. I don’t go to all the shows now obviously because it’s very tiring and stressful.

P: As a stylist, do you tend to pick up fashion tips? To get a feel for what people are wearing?

B: For me, I come for the inspiration. To be honest, I’m more interested in the details. So for instance, I pay attention to accessories and how things are placed. Coming from an architectural background before becoming a stylist, I’ll look for all the little details in preparation for the shows. That’s really what flicks my switch, not so much the trendy aspects. I’m not necessarily into trends as they happen.

Too right. Bunmi’s style is very clearly one of a kind and so unique that it seemed unparalleled on the streets of the Strand. Her attention to detail is demonstrated by her implementation of cool tones in her outfit, from her bag to her lipstick.

P: Have you styled any models for LFW shows?

B: Not this year, no. But I have done in the past. It’s always manic backstage.

Janan: Talk us through your outfit

B: Oh, my outfit! No one’s ever asked me that before.

[Points to her fuchsia duster coat] This is from a British brand called ‘DEPLOY demi-couture’. They’re a sustainable brand based here in London. And then this Lautem bag here is also a sustainable brand and I just love the physical edge of it. It’s a little quirky and not so mainstream and I like that.

[Shows off a two tone dress of maroon and burnt orange]

This dress is humble Hobbs. I thought I’d try it out and I quite liked it. My hat and headpiece are also both from sustainable brands again based in London.

P: So there’s a theme!

B: Well I don’t intend there to be. I’m just being more ethically conscious in fashion.

P: We wrote an article about eco-fashion in the past. What’s your take on it?

B: Okay, so here’s the thing. I think that eco-fashion is wonderful, it’s come a long way and thank God it’s mainstream now rather than at an angle. However, I would only wear something if I liked the design. If it’s eco but it’s not well-made, I wouldn’t wear it. It has to be up to the consumer’s aesthetic standards.

Bunmi makes a good point. And I say that because it echoes the point I made in our article debating the usefulness and practicality of eco-fashion: ‘it’s important to consider how this interferes with individual consumers and personal aesthetics. The beauty of fashion is that it is the most basic form of expression. Placing a specific framework of sustainable consumption on this very concept counters that ideal entirely and stomps on the aforementioned freedom of self-expression.’ She sticks by this view by choosing quality items that are ethical and eco-fashion forward.

Then we spot Nino, wearing a look constructed of layers and diffused with what she describes as ‘simple femininity’.

Peter: What are you wearing and why are you wearing it?

Nino: I’m currently wearing all Ukrainian designers. It’s because I believe there are a lot of young designers in Ukraine that deserve recognition in the fashion world because they bring a fresh air to the field. My exceptions are this Michael Kors bag, my Levi jeans and my shirt is from a brand from London. But this coat and this pair of boots are from a designer in Ukraine.

The navy number hangs off her shoulders, gracefully draping over a crisp, white collared shirt to save the risk of the coat overpowering the outfit. Accessorising the look with a pair of pastel sunglasses adds a touch of chic futuristic glam and so encapsulates the fresh air of Nino’s fashion.

P: The draping of your coat in your look is very interesting. Can you talk us through why you’re wearing your coat down to your elbows?

N: Well, I’m a feminist so with this coat, I’m showing off the power of women and wearing my femininity literally on my sleeve. The shade of white is known to be symbolic of innocence but I love using contrasts in my outfits. So I’ve gone for utility boots to signify strength and to be using in contrast with the other elements in my look.

Vague or Vogue? Regardless, a lot of thought was put into this look and Nino, who was subject to the fashion paps, was an asset to the LFW street style this year.  

It was a pleasure to make the acquaintance of these wonderful people. I think the thread that connects them is that great thought has gone into what they wear. They didn’t rock up at LFW with any arrogant conception of their style; they crafted their outfits to make a statement. Clearly, they were trying to reel in the big dogs of fashion journalism, (Vogue, Nouse etc) but on a serious note, they were trying to make a statement. I think the truth is that when these statements are made, people get it and people approach to ask more as we did.

1. Good article. Correctly selected street style clothes to look very cool. But all need to choose a unique (individual) style. You need to consider the type of figure. In addition, it is important to understand “where you will wear these clothes”. That’s why street style is not suitable for everyone. Personally, I prefer classic suits and eco-cotton shirts. I buy such shirts on the site – https://www.idunloor.com/. Classic suits can be worn both for work and for to go a cafe or restaurant. This is a versatile clothing. But the street style does not fit well as clothing for an official meeting. Therefore, the main thing is to be able to choose the right clothes and style!