A Delve Into Nintendo’s January Direct

Dissects and Explains the Nintendo’s January Direct and Their Plans for the Coming Year

Image: Pixabay

Nintendo’s much anticipated first Direct of the year took place on 11 January 2018 and revealed a large number of games for fans to get excited about.

The first announcement that Nintendo made at the Direct is a remake of fan-favourite DS game, The World Ends With You for the Nintendo Switch. The remake is titled The World Ends With You – Final Remix and is slated for release in 2018. The game will support both the traditional touchscreen controls of the Nintendo DS version and also introduce JoyCon support allowing the game to be played while the Switch is in docked mode. In addition to JoyCon support to make combat feel fresh and exciting, Final Remix will also introduce a new scenario which will dive into the heart of the story.

Nintendo provided more details on original games for the Switch Con-sole, confirming a 16 March release date for the previously announced Kirby Star Allies and revealed the existence of Mario Tennis Aces, which is set for a release this spring. Kirby Star Allies will allow up to four player co-op, encouraging players to combine their copy abilities to reveal powerful friend abilities. The game will also introduce new copy abilities for Kirby, including the “Artist” ability which allows Kirby to show off his creativity and the “Spider” ability which allows Kirby to ensnare enemies in webs. Mario Tennis Aces will be the first Mario Tennis game to have a fully-fledged story mode since Mario Tennis: Power Tour on Gameboy Advance.

The Direct also revealed a couple of ports of Wii U games that are coming to Nintendo Switch – perfect for fans who skipped the Wii U. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition was the first Wii U port announced in the Nintendo Direct, bringing in all the content (including paid DLC) from the Wii U and 3DS games. The game will support single JoyCon play allowing for split-screen multiplayer without gamers having to buy extra controllers.

The other Wii U port coming to Nintendo Switch is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. This stunning, critically-acclaimed platformer will be available from 4 May 2018 and will feature the same base game as the Wii U version with an additional option to play as Funky Kong. Funky Kong is able to use a surfboard in order to protect himself from dangers such as spikes in a level thus making the game more accessible to younger players. Like Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will also support single JoyCon play allowing for co-op anytime and anywhere.

As well as games, Nintendo also announced up-dates to existing software. Super Mario Odyssey will receive a free up-date in February which will introduce a new online mini-game titled “Luigi’s Balloon World.” The minigame features both “Hide It” and “Find It” modes. In the former, players have thirty seconds to hide a balloon in one of the game’s kingdoms for other players around the world to find in the latter. To play “Luigi’s Balloon World,” players must talk to Luigi in any of the games’ kingdoms. In other Mario related news, Donkey Kong will be introduced as a playable character, this spring, in Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

Pokken Tournament DX is also due to receive download-able content – this will be paid and released in two waves. Wave 1 will be released on 31 January 2018 and Wave 2 will be re-leased 23 March 2018. This con-tent is available for purchase via the Nintendo eShop through the Pokken Tournament Battle Pack. The battle pack costs £13.49 and will allow access to the additional Pokemon once released in addition to new avatar items.