National student radio awards confer multiple prizes to URY

Image: Student Radio Association

UNIVERSITY RADIO York (URY) recently attended the national Student Radio Awards, winning four awards out of their shortlisted five. The event took place on 9th November and was hosted by the Student Radio Association Awards at the O2 Indigo Arena in London. The overall event was sponsored by BBC Radio 1 and Global.

URY won gold for the Best Entertainment Programme, with URY: PM with K-Spence. They also won both gold and silver medals in the Best Newcomer category, awarded to Will Batchelor and Matthew Stratford respectively. Finally, the bronze Award for Best Technical Achievement went to URY Visualisation. Josh Kerr was nominated for the Best Male Award but missed out on the win, which instead went to Matt Lynch of Fly FM from Nottingham Trent University. The overall Best Student Radio Station went to University Radio Nottingham.

The awards involved submitting various audio and written pieces to the organisers. Best Newcomer is a particularly difficult award, as it only involves two PDF pages that format everything the student has achieved within the one year they have been working with the radio, both on and off air. For URY to have two students win this award was impressive for the station.

URY told Nouse: “All of our members are so proud of our SRA winners (and nominees). they’ve all worked so hard and are deserving winners. We look forward to continuing the success next year!”

Gold Best Newcomer winner Will Batchelor wanted to thank: “University Radio York for helping me achieve Best Newcomer at the #SRAs. I still can’t really believe how awesome the last year has been and I am looking forward to the next 2 years of radio goodness.”

Having broadcast since 1967, URY is the oldest independent radio station in the UK. It is run entirely by volunteers and broadcasts twenty four hours a day during term time, within a variety of categories: from entertainment, to news, music to politics and to drama.