Bilsland Bar Crawl takes place in memory of passed student

Image: Greg Flack

On 14 November members and friends of the Langwith community gathered together to attend a charity bar crawl in memory of recently deceased student Jordan Bilsland.

Nouse have been informed that a bar crawl was chosen as this month’s charity event in order to reflect Jordan’s spirit. Jordan was described as “a lively cheeky chap who loved partying” by his close friend and flatmate Greg Flack. This resulted in the idea of the charity bar crawl. Tickets were sold at a price of £4 with all money going straight to Mind. Flack stated that “The response has been amazing, from the Langwith community and beyond.”

Last month, Jordan’s friends ran the York 10 Mile race, for the chairty Mind, raising over twice their target of £500. The bar crawl witnessed a similar level of success. Approximately £500 was made on the night of the crawl alone as participants voyaged from Glasshouse to Kuda.

Attendees of the night have described how great a success it was. Andrew Young, who attended the event, commented “It was a really fun night with a great “rave/retro” theme chosen in Jordan’s honour. Everyone was aware of the importance of the charity and lots of money was raised but it was fantastic that we all had such a great time as well.”

Flack also recollected Jordan as a “larger than life, gregarious character who took Langwith life by storm. He was known for his eccentric sense of humour and fervent passion in both rugby and physics. Jordan sadly passed away this September and this has deeply saddened and affected many in the Langwith community and beyond. Such events as the Bilsland bar crawl are a great way to remember his short but incredibly valuable life.”

Members of the University community have all come together to remember Jordan Bilsland. Professor Kieran Gibson, Head of the Department of Physics added his voice to those commemorating Jordan Bilsland. He told Nouse: “Jordan was a bright and popular student within the Department of Physics where his inquisitive and outgoing nature was much appreciated by his peers. His passion and enthusiasm for science clearly shone through in the first year of his Theoretical Physics degree during which he demonstrated a determined, conscientious and inquisitive approach to his studies. He will be sorely missed by the many staff and students within the department who had the great pleasure of knowing him.”

In addition to this, Dr Rob Aitken, Director of Colleges, described Jordan as “an active member of Langwith College. He had volunteered to support incoming students this year and was an active member of one of the University’s rugby clubs. He will be missed by many students in Langwith and beyond.”

A memorial book for Jordan can now be found by the staff pigeon holes in the main Physics building in the AC-Wing where there is a view overlooking Newton’s apple tree in the courtyard.