Young Green Party to hold convention on campus

Image: Young Greens

The youth branch of the Green Party is this year hosting its annual convention at the University of York. The two-day convention, taking place on the weekend of Week 7, 11-12 November, is set to feature a speech by the deputy leader of the Green Party, Amelia Womack.

This year’s convention is converging around the theme of “Making Change”, with talks and workshops over the weekend focusing on transforming politics, from grassroots level right up to Westminster, which only has one Green MP, party co-leader Caroline Lucas of Brighton Pavilion.

The convention is free to attend, with a free vegan lunch provided on both days. It also acts as the Young Greens AGM, and will see members elect a new Executive Committee. 41 roles are available in total, which includes the Co-Chairs of the Young Greens and chairs of various liberation groups. Members will also vote on policy papers, motions, and any changes to the Young Greens Constitution.

Hannah Clare, Young Greens co-chair said: “We’re incredibly excited to be holding our convention in York this year. Convention is an amazing opportunity for our members to get involved in our campaigns, have their say on how the organisation runs, and meet other Young Greens from across the country.

“Our convention is always a fun and dynamic event, and we’re incredibly pleased to have Amelia Womack speaking this year. Amelia has worked tirelessly during her time as Green Party deputy leader to make young people’s voices heard, and we look forward to hearing from her.”

Connor Drake, chair of the University of York Green Party, also told Nouse: “Myself and the Uni Greens are very excited to be working together with the Young Greens to host the convention, and I hope that everyone attending enjoys the weekend in our beautiful city.”