STAR Working with UNHCR

STAR Begin Their Winter Aid Campaign & Partner with UNHCR

Image: Max Pixel

Students Taking Action for Refugees (STAR) joined forces with the UNHCR to help the refugee cause. The UNHCR is continuing its #WithRefugees campaign which STAR are supporting. Any actions from students at the University of York will add to the messages STAR and the UNHCR are sending to world leaders, whom will be deciding on a global compact on refugees in 2018.

This document will bring about a more predictable and equitable way of responding to the refugee crises that may occur in the future, and current ones being faced. STAR organised a petition competition, with teams battling to get the most signatures as their involvement with the campaign. The UNHCR’s online petition has 1.8 million signatures. It asks for every refugee child to get an education, for every refugee family to have a safe place to live and for every refugee to have the ability to work or learn new skills to support their families.

STAR will be hosting events over the next few weeks in an attempt to continue to encourage engagement and donations. During Week Six there will be a “Great STAR Bake Off” and a Movie Night in week eight.

They also have their ongoing Winter Aid Appeal, and until 3 November they are collecting toiletries, winter clothes, sleeping bags, and various items to donate to vulnerable populations in camps and settlements across the Middle East and Syria. All collected items will be given to the Samara’s Aid Appeal.

Student Activities Officer Mikey Collinson added his thoughts on STAR’s efforts: “I’m really happy to hear that York STAR are getting involved and campaigning on an issue that a lot of students at York and across the country care about very deeply. A good education is a transformative experience so helping students access education is one way that we can secure a better future for them and wider society. York has a great number of campaigning groups across a wide range of issues which allow students to tackle issues that matter to them, so I encourage people to get involved.”

Further details can be found on the UoY STAR Facebook page.