RAG Week 2017 commences

Image: DS Pugh

Raising and Giving (RAG) Week is ongoing all Week 6, up to Sunday 5 November. After raising £120 000 for charities on a local, national, and international level last year, in 2017 YUSU hope to receive even more donations.

This RAG Week, YUSU are supporting two organisations. The first is York-based Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS), helping those locally affected by domestic violence and the issues surrounding it. Th other is Action for Children, a national charity working with children and young people disadvantaged by socioeconomic circumstances, neglect, and abuse. The entire sum of donations procured during RAG Week will be going directly to IDAS and Action for Children.

YUSU have planned a week of activities for all to participate in, notable highpoints including Blind Date in The Lounge and Roger Kirk Centre on Thursday at 8:30pm, and the RAG Takeover across YUSU venues Courtyard, The Kitchen at Alcuin, and Glasshouse at various times on Friday 3 November.

The icing on the cake, however, is the RAG Café – a new initiative taking place in the Berrick Saul building from 9am to 4pm, in which students donate money to subject sabbatical officers to a range of different forfeits for a good cause. The offerings on the menu may not be edible, but they are definitely delicious.

Students in attendance receive a free tea or coffee upon entry then are able to pay from 50p upwards to £4 for the ability to engage the Sabb of their choice in a range of activities from those labelled “Soup of the Daymocracy” (where a mystery bowl is chosen for the elected representative to consume) to “Rack of Sabb”, a choice that will involve a hirsute sabbatical officer’s chest being waxed. Servings of just desserts include the “Sticky Sabby Pudding with Glitter Glaze”, involving the classically sweet combination of golden syrup and glitter, or the “Sabbtoria Sponge with Whipped Sabb”, which gives a student the right to use a paddle to whip the Sabb.

There is also the option of ordering the “Sabb Special”, costing £15, where a student selects the Sabb of their choice to take them for an all-expenses paid, romantic Courtyard dinner.

When asked for comment, Mikey Collinson, the Student Activities Officer, stated: “I’m so excited for RAG Week 2017! The RAG committee have worked hard alongside many other student groups to organise some great events for students (and staff) and I hope that everyone has a laugh and generally fun week while raising money for good causes. This year we’re raising money for two brilliant charities and I know that the money raised will be massively appreciated.

“My personal highlight will be pie-ing Alex in the face at Sabb Cafe on Wednesday and saying it’s for charity – the more people we get to do this the better really so come down and pie him (not me).”