Big Alumni Project

The New £40,000 Big Alumni Project

Image: Yorkspace

New this year, the Big Alumni Project will offer funding of up to £40 000 from YuFund donations for projects that will make a lasting impact to lives of hundreds or thousands of University staff and students for years to come. On a bi-annual basis, this sum will be given to a single project run by students and staff from the University.

The money from YuFund will be from alumni and friends’ donations. Projects that qualify for the funding will have to address one or more of the aims of solving a problem, making a statement, providing a lasting impact and/or improve the environment on campus.

Projects should have an aim to impact the experience of all students or staff, or those with special considerations to liberation groups, wider society, or have a transformation impact in an identified research area. Funding for the project can be spent in a one-off payment or over the two year period.

The hope is for these projects to be ground-breaking, with plenty of funding to enable them to achieve their purpose. The applicants are identified from a campus wide process and can apply as a group or individuals.

Applications are made through a 250 word expression of interest completed via a form that can be found on the Big Alumni Page on the Yorkspace website, and must be submitted prior to 4 November 2017.

There is encouragement for applicants to submit their ideas even if they are not yet fully formed, to attempt to collect as many options as possible.

Susie Braithwaite, Deputy Director of the Office of Philanthropic Partnerships and Alumni (OPPA), said: “the Big Alumni Project is a new initiative which aims to maximise the potential of donor support to make a lasting difference. It will set aside donation income by alumni and friends to YuFund of £20,000 per annum, to fund a substantial project biennially with an overall project grant of up to £40,000.

“By delivering a showcase project, the Big Alumni Project will demonstrate more fully to our donors and the campus community the long-term impact and transformative power of alumni and friends support. The project will be identified via a campus wide application process. We welcome applications from groups and individuals.”

The winning project will be announced in April 2018 after a public vote takes place in March.