A Note from the Muse Editor…

Muse Editor is telling it like it is

Ten straight days in the Nouse office, and I’ve had enough. I’ve taken myself off to the archives room. I say ‘room’ – it’s a cupboard, really, packed with the Uni’s Brass Band instruments and filing cabinets filled with old copies of campus newspapers. Today it’s also stacked with piles of Freshers, our special magazine for everyone starting at York this year. If you haven’t seen it yet, you’ll find a copy right in the middle of Muse to enjoy to your heart’s content. We’re really proud of it, and hopefully there’s something in there for everyone, whether you’ve lived in York your whole life or have travelled across the world (or maybe just the depths of rural Norfolk, like me) to be here.

It’s surprisingly entertaining to browse through old Nouses though; doing the rounds in the office this week has been the May 1999 edition, the front cover of which boasts both a feature on the rise of fascism in Britain and an interview with the Chuckle Brothers. If that’s not cognitive dissonance, I don’t know what is. But that’s just the joy of student media: nowhere else do you have the opportunity to write whatever you feel like, whenever you want to. You want to do something? Just ask.

That’s a lesson that can be put to good use well outside a student newspaper office, and even university itself; we can’t expect things to simply be handed to us if we haven’t made it clear that’s what we want. Sometimes bluntness is the only way to get where we want to be.

So let me be blunt: I’m ready to leave Nouse behind. I often tell people that in my first year this paper was the one thing that kept me at university, and that’s true, but now, at the beginning of my final year, it’s time to move on. After this week I’ll never have to deal with the unfathomably slow computers, or the cramped office, or the appalling puns; the unstable chairs, the shelves that fall off, the foam finger that nobody knows what to do with or how it got here in the first place.

Okay, okay. Truth be told, I’ll miss each and every one of those things (even the foam finger, a bit), and so much else besides. Regardless of what you study or what year you’re in, consider getting involved with this ridiculous little project. Nouse will always be the best thing I did at uni – the thing I tell people about ten years down the line.

But here I am, after ten days of production, preemptively shutting myself away in the archives mere days before I have to leave for good. It’s rather poetic, really. It must be time to go.