Charity fashion show lights up York’s Festival of Ideas

Image: Maria Kalinowska

The University of York’s collective The Northern Youth hosted a fashion show in Ron Cooke Hub on June 9th to raise funds for York Mind.

The show, entitled Final Threads, hosted 6 design brands and 8 individual designers from the University of York. The event sold 100 tickets and was entirely run by students.

The brands displayed in the show were Simpleboy Clothing, POWER Clothing

The University of York student designers displaying their work in the show included John James, Sophie Lincoln, Minnie Peck, Orla Lavery, Fola Oki, Timothy Sonuga and Hamza Ali.

Some of the pieces from the show were displayed in Ron Cooke Hub’s 3Sixty space, a four-walled projection room designed for immersive and cohesive full-room projection. These pieces were also available for sale in order to also raise funds for the York branch of the mental health charity Mind.

The fashion show was followed by an after party held at Fibbers by Drop. The night was due to be headlined by Novelist, who unfortunately cancelled before the night went ahead.

The show was a more intimate affair than The Northern Youth’s first fashion show last year, which featured a talk by Editor-in-Chief of Vogue Anna Wintour and Guardian editor Katherine Viner. Last year’s show raised £30,000 for charities Refugee Action York and the Xavier Project.