York students announced as parliamentary candidates

Image: Selby & Ainsty Liberal Democrats

Two University of York students, one current and one alumnus, have entered the race to become MPs in the upcoming general election. Both Ciaran Morrissey (a former Philosophy student who graduated in 2016) and Callum Delhoy (a second year Politics student) are representing the Liberal Democrats.

Morrissey is running for the Bishop Auckland seat, a Labour stronghold since 1935 that saw the Lib Dems come in fourth with 4.4 per cent of the vote in 2015, a fall from 2010’s 9,189 votes. Recently elected policy officer of Young Liberals for the party’s youth wing, the former chair of the University of York Liberal Democrats from 2015 to 2016 used his position of Nouse comment editor in the same year as a platform to express his outspoken socially liberal views with publications of articles such as ‘We Need To Talk About Milo’ sparking campus-wide debate about the nature of speech and platforms – Morrissey’s concern regarding the subject continued with his criticism of the NUS ‘no platform’ policy throughout his time at York.

Delhoy’s attempt to win in the constituency of Selby and Ainsty is the former UoY Liberal Democrat chair’s second try at achieving the position of MP: in the 2015 general election, he ran for the seat of Daventry and came in fourth to the Conservatives, Labour and UKIP, and was the youngest UK parliamentary candidate at the time. Also having chaired Amnesty International at the University in 2016, Delhoy has political aspirations and is “delighted to have this opportunity to oppose our protectionist, illiberal Conservative government.” Despite his history and the continued support of incumbent Tory MP Nigel Adams, Delhoy is confident of his chances and states: “I know many of these people will be voting Liberal Democrat, some for the first time, and I’m confident of our ability to convince many more to do so and truly make a difference through our campaign.”