New registrar appointed by uni

Image: University of Warwick

The University has appointed Jo Horsburgh, current strategy director at the University of Warwick, as its new registrar and secretary.

A management graduate from the University of Cambridge, Jo worked in human resources and management consultancy before joining Warwick in 2003. In 14 years there she filled the posts of director of human resources, deputy registrar and strategy director.

At York, the registrar and secretary has overall responsibility for the central support services, and the effectiveness of the University’s governance structure. The registrar has very broad oversight, and is frequently described as ‘a job that is what you make of it’.

Registrars tend to have wide CVs and are typically externally appointed. David Duncan had previously worked for the University of Dundee, and is now secretary of Glasgow University.

The University employed headhunting firm Odgers Berndtson to identify suitable candidates, before a three-person shortlist passed through a rigourous inteview process. The appointment panel included members of senate, and the current chair of council.

Quoted on the University of York website, University of York Vice-Chancellor Koen Lamberts said: “She brings a wealth of management experience from her time in industry and at the University of Warwick. Jo will be an integral member of the University’s senior leadership team.”

Jo herself stated: “I am delighted to be joining the University of York as registrar and secretary at such an exciting time in York’s development as a global player.”