York is safest city for students, new regional statistics reveal

Image: Wikimedia Commons

York is the safest student town or city in England and Wales, according to research published by ‘The Complete University Guide’. The conclusion was reached by comparing crime statistics from different regions and police forces in student areas.

The study focused on crimes that are most likely to affect students. These include robbery, burglary, violence, and sexual offences. Official statistics about crimes specifically against students are not available, and crimes committed by students were not considered. Rather, the report looked to build a “crime heat map” of England and Wales so that students can see how safe the town or city of their university is.

Within the parameters of the study, York has just 16 criminal incidents for every 1000 residents that live in the city. Close on York’s heels in second place is Buckingham, with a figure of 16.1 incidents per 1000 residents, and Winchester in third with 17.8.

At the other end of the table, the Courtauld Institute of Art comes out bottom owing to its location on the Strand in London, where 70.4 criminal incidents per 1000 residents were reported. Other London-based institutions towards the bottom of the table include the London School of Economics, University College London, and King’s College London.