YSJ defeat James, new Varsity a success

York St John were defeated James College 18-10 last week in the new Varisty tournament

Image: Zac Shepherd

YORK ST. JOHN triumphed over James College at the first ever John’s vs James Varsity event last weekend, with an 18-10 victory. While the win was expected, James still managed a number of upsets, including a convincing 3-0 victory in volleyball.

YSJ Student Union President Laurie Illingworth said: “It’s safe to say that everyone who competed, spectated, supported and celebrated on the day had a fantastic time regardless of the result! It’s an abso lute pleasure to have taken the title on the day but the event was more than that. A huge thank you for the sport officers from James College for being so cooperative throughout the development of the event and long may it continue!”

James finished the day with an admirable five wins, more than they were expected to achieve as underdogs. Among the winning teams for the York College were mixed hockey, who won 2-1 despite the absence of captain Hash Syed for much of the game. Winning goal scorer, Dan Proud, said: “We haven’t quite hit as high a level as we’d have hoped to this year, so we’re all really pleased to pull of this surprising victory”.

Among James’ highest hopes were James Rugby Union FC, autumn term champions. They started slowly against a powerful YSJ 1s team. Despite conceding early tries, they brought the game back with less than ten minutes left. James Gunn’s try made it 20-26, bring-
ing them within a score of the lead, prompting captain Oscar Jefferson to declare: “This is as spicy as it gets boys”. However, YSJ converted two late tries, giving James their first regulation time loss of the season.

James College Rugby Union. Image: JCRUFC Facebook

Other victories for James included football firsts, mixed badminton, men’s basketball and volleyball, while YSJ secured the Varsity with success in a number of other events including netball where a well drilled outfit overpowered James across three fixtures.

The event was followed by an after-party and presentation at Fibbers nightclub. Both YSJ and James were ecstatic with how successful the tournament was, and both have expressed a strong desire to repeat it next year in the hope of extending this newly-formed rivalry.

Mike Britland, Assistant Head of James College, said, “The first ever Johns vs. James was a huge success, which was entirely down to the hard work of our JCRC and sports captains. When we give our brilliant student leaders the space and support to be creative, it’s amazing what they can achieve. I hope that everyone involved in the event is proud of what they’ve started – and I’m looking forward to them making it even bigger and better next year. Who knows, we might even win next time!”.

James Netball 1s. Image: James College Sport Facebook