Vision set sights on releasing print edition by end of term

Image: York Vision

Student tabloid York Vision is looking to make a comeback with a brand new editorial team, following a term and a half of not being able to print.

Increasing financial difficulties saw the society placed under a temporary embargo by YUSU. This was largely due to insufficient advertising revenue, which saw Vision fall into debt by an unsubstantiated figure.

Elections for the new editorial team took place on Wednesday 8 February, with new Editor-in-Chief Amara Barrett Willett stating that the process “went as well as it could have”.

In addition to this, Barrett Willett asserted, “the plan is to be in print again before the term ends”.

Former Editor-in-Chief Paul Wace, speaking to Nouse, elaborated on the difficulties faced by the paper. He confirmed that advertising revenue was the central cause behind Vision’s hiatus, but criticised YUSU’s approach to resolving the matter.

“I do think YUSU have not acted responsibly in their treatment of Vision,” Wace commented. “[They] didn’t seem like they were passionate about Vision continuing to print. I do think they wanted to find resolution, but it would have placed an unbearable amount of work on the full-time students who run Vision.

“Finding advertisers for our paper was always difficult, but YUSU in my mind have damaged York’s reputation for student journalism – which undoubtedly brings talented people here – with their approach to Vision.”

YUSU Activities Officer Alex Lusty issued the following statement: “We have been determined to ensure the continued survival of Vision, and YUSU has provided extensive support to ensure this. I am confident that the paper is on the road to recovery and that there will be copies of Vision around campus before the end of term.”

York Vision remains the most awarded student newspaper in Britain, distinguished from Nouse by its tabloid format and tone.  They generally publish three times a term, and release one campus-based supplement per year.

2014’s Guardian Student Media Awards saw it awarded with the title of “Best Publication” – one of 25 awards it has received since 2001.