York conferences to boost employability

York Community Consulting and York Finance Conference are to host their largest events over the next two weeks

Image: Simon Pickles

Students at York with their ambitions rooted in consultancy and finance have much to look forward to as student organisations at the University will host ambitious conferences over the coming weeks. York Community Consulting (YCC), a student-run consultancy which produces work for student start-ups and organisations bringing social benefit, are having their inaugural Spring Conference on 3 February. A week later on 10 February, the student-led York Finance Conference takes place for its fifth year.

YCC’s Marketing Officer Sam Crossley told Nouse that “the conference presents the best opportunity for students who haven’t heard about consulting to learn more about the industry. “The Spring Conference will be a one day event consisting of industry talks from senior executives at leading firms who will be sharing their invaluable insight on consulting, financial services, the public sector, technology and more. We will also be featuring a panel debate with recent graduates who will impart their advice on CVs applications and interviews.

“Our high-profile speakers will be available throughout the day for students who wish to learn more about how consulting may be the right career for them!”

Pav Sehmar, the President of York Finance Conference notes that their conference “is a brilliant opportunity for students to gain an insight into the world of finance. During the event there will be talks by leading experts in finance, business and banking; interactive seminars on law, trading and more; and various networking sessions throughout the day.”

Attendees of both events can expect to meet a range of speakers and guests, with Sehmar emphasising that “with our structured networking sessions on the day, all delegates will have the unique opportunity to talk to speakers and guests, ask questions, and most importantly learn a bit more about the world of finance.”

With the present job market which students face becoming increasingly competitive, the conferences come as a means for students to differentiate themselves in their job applications and demonstrate a credible commitment to the careers they are striving for. As well as holding conferences, York Community Consulting (YCC) and the Griff Investment Fund both take part in consulting and investment fund activities. This means that with the right level of commitment and willingness to volunteer, students are able to get real experience in professional fields in advance of launching their post-university career. While voluntary, these organisations are demonstrably successful. YCC boasts clients such as Virgin Trains East Coast, York Food Bank and Alpha Juices while the Griff Investment Fund uses more than 40 analysts to make its investment decisions.

YCC’s Spring Conference is to take place in the Ron Cooke Hub. It is also free of charge due to their using prize money from winning York’s PwC Opportunity Challenge, while the York Finance Conference is based at the Royal York Hotel and costs £45 to attend.

Speakers from the largest companies in consulting, investment banking and corporate finance are expected to appear across the two events.