Forecast for the Summer

lays out what’s in store for the 2017 festival season, from Glastonbury to Latitude and more

IMAGE: Glastonbury/Andrew Allcock

Radiohead are the only headline act announced by Glastonbury so far. The band from Oxford have headlined the festival twice before (1997 and 2003), with both performances regarded as some of the best Glastonbury performances to date. Rumours for the other two headline spots vary, but the strongest suggestions so far appear to be Ed Sheeran, Lady Gaga and Foo Fighters. After cancelling their headline spot in 2015 as a result of Dave Grohl’s broken leg, the band have been rumoured to return to the line-up ever since, and seem a likely option for 2017. As for Ed Sheeran and Lady Gaga, neither would be a surprise, since as Glastonbury has opted for a pop star in recent years, with Adele headlining last year and Kanye West the year before.

The family friendly Latitude festival has not announced any acts yet, although the strongest rumours suggest that the 1975 will appear on the bill. Lana Del Rey is also rumoured to headline.

Muse have been confirmed as the first headliners at Reading and Leeds, after their successful Glastonbury set last year. Other acts confirmed so far include Bastille, Danny Brown and Major Lazer. Strong rumours suggest that Eminem and Kasabian will also headline. Eminem headlined the festival in 2013, and went on to become the first rapper to headline Wembley Stadium the following year, with two sold out dates. Kasabian headlined the festival in 2012.

The festival at Hyde Park has already announced most of its headliners. These are: Green Day, Justin Bieber, Kings of Leon, Phil Collins, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Rock artists are usually the most common feature on the BST bill, but, like Glastonbury, in recent years the festival has opted for the occasional popstar, with Justin Bieber following in the footsteps of Taylor Swift and Kylie Minogue. The only other rumoured headliner at the moment
is The Killers, who haven’t headlined a UK festival since V Festival in 2014.

The Isle of Wight Festival has already announced all of their headliners, all of whom happen to be UK festival exclusives. The Saturday and Sunday night will be headlined by Arcade Fire and Rod Stewart respectively. However, the first night of the festival will be co-headlined by Run DMC and David Guetta. Run DMC, one of the most influential hip hop artists of all time, has not performed in the UK since Reading Festival 2001.