Student organises International Men’s Day talk on campus

received 10209653839415750

Image: Elliott Banks

An event was hosted on campus by students to mark International Men’s Day. The event, hosted by Ben Froughi,  began with a talk about issues such as the high rate of suicide among men. The talk, which was delivered by Mr Froughi, ended with a video of Milo Yiannopoulos giving a speech about men’s issues at the University of Bristol.

In addition to this, one of the UK convenors of International Men’s Day, Glen, gave a brief talk via Skype regarding the aims of International Men’s Day, highlighting his background as a stay-at-home father.

Last year, the University planned to mark International Men’s Day, however the event was ultimately not held. Subsequently, the University featured in several national newspapers, with Mr Yiannopoulos becoming heavily involved.

When asked about the event,  Ben Froughi told Nouse that: “the International Men’s Day event will both celebrate men and look at male-specific issues. The mainstream media and culture generally never has a good thing to tell young men about their gender and male issues are given a back seat if not ignored altogether. Hopefully the talk will raise awareness of male issues whilst also sending people away feeling positive about their gender. In a small way, this kind of event might help improve relations between the sexes which have been so badly damaged in recent years.”

Dom Smithies, YUSU community and well-being officer said “a low-key discussion event to mark International Men’s Day has been planned and promoted around campus by an individual student, acting in a personal capacity. The Union continues to work with students to examine some of the issues highlighted by International Men’s Day, including men’s health. The Officers are supporting ‘Movember’ initiatives around campus and continuing to work for improvements to mental health services both on and off campus.”