A note from the Muse Editor…

Muse Editor wants you to find your voice…

I swear time works differently in the Nouse office. Hours pass in a flurry of mouse-clicks and keyboard-taps, and then all of a sudden it’s 11pm on Wednesday night,
InDesign has crashed again and the only thing that can keep those of us left going is a seemingly endless stream of Disney songs – but we keep going, because we don’t have much of a choice.

Walking home from the office at 1am that Wednesday, it occurred to me that that’s pretty much how the whole year has felt, though perhaps the last fortnight all the more so. The world may change around us but day-to-day life continues, reliable and relentless, and we’re pulled along with it. What else can we do but carry on?

Yet that hasn’t really been the tone of the last few weeks and months. People haven’t just ignored or accepted the truth, crossing their fingers and thinking maybe it’s not so bad after all. Instead, they’ve stood up and demanded to be heard; they’ve vowed to persevere in the face of adversity to work towards what they believe is right.

Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell is certainly one example of such tenacity, but you don’t need to be a politician to make a difference. Slaves discuss how “people are looking for bands with something to say”, while Fashion explore the development of David Bowie’s style, itself just as iconic and consistently ground-breaking as his music.

On the other hand, if you do need a bit of escapism from the last couple of weeks, check out Gaming’s opinions on both augmented and virtual reality games or Film & TV’s discussion of the effects of on-screen deaths. And if retail therapy is the only thing that can help you right now, head straight to the Shoot for the latest space-based trends.

As I walked home that night, the witching-hour silence was broken by the tuneful clarity of birdsong piercing the dark. It was so out of place that I stopped still in my tracks and listened. Why those birds felt the need to sing out at 1am I’ll never know, but it made a cold and gloomy November night that bit brighter.

Whatever you’re struggling with at the moment – whether it’s homesickness, end-of-term deadlines, institutional inequality or something else entirely – now is not the time to hide away. It’s a grim time of year and things are set to get worse, but each of us has a voice we can use to make a difference somewhere if we stand up and persevere. Now more than ever is the time to find it: the way I see it, we don’t have much of a choice.