A note from the Muse Editor…

New Muse Editor is thinking about fear…

“How the hell do you write an editor’s note?”

This question has genuinely haunted me since I got this role three weeks ago, though I couldn’t really put my finger on why. That is, not until Wednesday evening when I found myself trawling through years of Nouse archives for inspiration from previous editors.

See, an editor’s note has to be funny, but with a tinge of self-deprecation. It ought to be themed, but also needs to bridge the content of the paper it’s introducing. And it has to be relevant, even though chances are the only people who will actually read it are the sub-editors.

Eventually though, I realised that it came down to fear – because everyone before me was so damn good.

With dwindling bank accounts and essay deadlines creeping ever closer, we all probably have enough to be worrying about, but fear’s still a big topic in this edition. Fashion’s ‘Goth Punk’ shoot provides inspiration for keeping the Halloween spirit going, whilst Features takes us into the world of scare-acting, and writer Jon Ronson discusses psychopathy and Donald Trump (what could be scarier?!).

But if you’re in need of something more light-hearted, we’ve still got you covered. The new Music team run through their best-ever gigs, Food & Drink explore York’s food sustainability organisations, or Belinda Syme’s poetic artwork might help you relax.

That’s what I need to do at any rate. After all, none of this is about me; it’s an enormous privilege to take the reins of Muse, but more than 30 fantastic people work tirelessly to put it together every month. That’s what’s really important: what matters isn’t that you like me, but that you like the pages that follow, with their shiny new typeface and design.

There’s always something to worry about, and too much fear can really hold you back. But, cliché though it is, university is all too fleeting to not make as much of it as you feel you can. Pushing the boundaries of your comfort zone can do wonders for your confidence.

I guess a little fear goes a long way; you might even work out how to write an editor’s note.