YUSU Officer Profiles: Tamaki Laycock, Academic Officer

Degree: Politics with International Relations BA

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

What does your role entail?

My role means that I represent students within their academic life to help make sure that the university carries forward things that will be beneficial to all different kinds of students. I do this with the help of various student reps (faculty, department, course) who go help me figure out what students want, need, prefer, all that, as well as YUSU staff.

What advice do you have for freshers?

Not to sound too close to welfare but: drink water! Staying hydrated helps with concentration and energy. Make sure to sleep enough, and take care of yourselves as well. Ask for help when you need it – your supervisors, your tutors are there to help you through intellectual development, but that can’t come at the price of your well being.

What is your favourite thing about York?

My favourite thing about York is the safety of the city, and the close proximity of town to campus compared to a lot of other cities.

When should people come to see you?

People should come see me if they have campaign ideas, generally have questions (Advice and Support are great for that too – [email protected]), want to bring something to my attention, or anything else they think might have to do with me! I can’t promise I’ll have all the answers, but I can damn well try to help. Student should also seek out their course and department reps for any of the above things – they’ll be able to understand what position you’re coming from more than I would because they’ll have had similar academic experiences. There are loads of people out there to help!