Club Profiles: Swimming & Water Polo

How to get involved with Swimming at the University of York

Image: Alex Byron

Image: Alex Byron

About the sport:

Our club has the two separate sports of swimming and water polo, however, many members decide to get involved with both and so the club is very integrated. Swimming can be done both recreationally and competitively here at York with galas throughout the year which we compete against other uni’s throughout the country in all four strokes (breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly and freestyle) across a range of distances from 50m to 1500m. Water Polo is a sport played in a 25m swimming pool which is played with the structure a bit like football but with your hands and is often referred to as one of the toughest sports in the World.

When trials are:

For Water Polo, students can come down to any session from week 2 onwards, for more information on times for the Men and Women they can look on the club website (uyswc.co.uk) or visit us at freshers fair.

Can beginners get involved?

Beginners in swimming can join our fitness squad however we advise that students have a basic swimming ability as we do not give learn to swim instruction. For Water Polo we welcome total beginners to the game but again we advise students have a basic swimming ability.

Why you should give it a go:

The club is a great way to find friends and have fun while exercising. As we won sports club of the year 14/15 we pride ourselves on not only our sporting achievements but getting involved with the community as well as holding charity events throughout the year. We welcome anyone who’s looking to relax while keeping up their fitness or learning a new sport. For more information you can email the club at [email protected].