Club Profiles: Sailing and Windsurfing

How to get involved with sailing and windsurfing at the University of York

Image: YUSWC

Image: YUSWC

About the club:

We’re the York University Sailing and Windsurfing Club, and we’re a well-established club on campus with over 50 members who take part in both recreational and competitive sailing, windsurfing and yachting. We sail/windsurf at a sailing club just outside of York, and have a variety of different boats and windsurf boards. We are also involved in Scarborough yacht club for those of you who want to do a bit of off-shore sailing!

As well as all of this, we have weekly socials, both chilled out nights at the pub, and of course the infamous Wednesday Salvo, as well as weekend away trips, Christmas and summer parties and a week in the sun in Greece each summer!

Can beginners get involved?

Whether you’re a complete novice or a seasonal racer, there is always something at YUSWC that you can get involved in! If you’re not interested in racing, then instead you’re always more than welcome to come along to any of our beginners and recreational sessions on Wednesday afternoons and the weekend (instructor provided).

When trials are:

The date of our trials for the sailing race team (we compete with other universities across the country) is currently tbc but come along and find us at the freshers fair for more info!

Why you should give it a go:

I can honestly say I have met some of my best friends through YUSWC, and have had some amazing experiences; Roses, BUCS, sailing in the Mediterranean, to name just a few. We can offer such an affordable and fun way to either get into a new sport, or to keep up your skills on the water. Come and find us at the freshers fair and we hope to see you on the water soon!