Club Profiles: Men’s Rugby Union

How to get involved in Rugby Union at the University of York

Image: Agatha Torrance

Image: Agatha Torrance

About the sport:

The University of York Rugby Union club is a totally student led club, and caters for players of all abilities. We field three teams every week, demonstrating our capacity to provide rugby at levels to suit all. We pride ourselves on playing expansive, attractive rugby, and have had immense success in recent years.

When trials are:

Try-outs will be the Sunday of Freshers’ Week down on 22 acres, come see us at the Freshers Fair stand to sign up and learn more about the club!

Can beginners get involved?

We field 3 teams each week at different levels, beginners are always welcome as the club’s best trait is its ability to balance a friendly and vibrant social life with a dedicated and professional attitude that consistently sets up all its teams for successful seasons filled with exciting and enjoyable rugby.

Why you should give it a go:

The University of York Rugby Union Club is one of the largest and most successful clubs on campus. The First XV currently plays at one the highest level of any team sport at the University, situated in Northern 1A. Over the past few seasons the First XV have experienced success being promoted into the Premiership as well as relegation yet still continue to perform at a high standard. The Second XV have consolidated their position in Northern 3B while the Third XV are currently performing well in Northern 5B. The club travels to play over 30 different teams from 15 of the best Universities in the North of the country; including Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle. The club’s best trait is its ability to balance a friendly and vibrant social life with a dedicated and professional attitude that consistently sets up all its teams for successful seasons filled with exciting and enjoyable rugby.

1. Recommended that freshers start appropriate stretching now to make sure you can get your head up your arse in time for trials