Club Profiles: Badminton

How to get involved with Badminton at the University of York

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

About the sport:

Badminton is the fastest racquet sport in the world. At our recreational club sessions, We play doubles in singular games to 21. People have the chance to play with others of all abilities, and will get numerous games with different people in each session. It’s a great way of keeping fit and having fun with friends at the same time. For the more experienced players, we have 5 teams competing in BUCS and local leagues, and a further 2 competing in the Yorkshire league.

When trials are:

Team trials will be held at the sports centre in the main hall, 4pm on the 3rd October and 3pm on the 4th October. Check out our Facebook page or come and see us at Fresher’s Fair for more specific details.

Can beginners get involved?

The Badminton club runs three recreational sessions a week, 7-10pm on Mondays, 3-5pm on Thursdays, and 9-11am on Sundays. The club is open to all abilities and is a great way to socialise, improve and have fun. For total beginners, we will be running blocks of ‘No Strings’ Badminton sessions, where there will be qualified coaches and experienced players on hand to offer hints and tips. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for more details!

Why you should give it a go:

The Badminton Club is one of the largest on campus, and we pride ourselves on our relaxed and welcoming environment. You can be as committed as you like, and games are very enjoyable to play at all levels. There is always a big social aspect to the club, with socials regularly throughout the year. We also hold termly tournaments and our famous Overnight Badminton fundraising event annually. Last year, we even organised the largest ever UV racquets rave in the UK; so there really is something for everyone! With the large number of regular club members there is always someone new to befriend!