Club Profiles: Volleyball

How to get involved with Volleyball at the University of York

email

Image: UOY Volleyball

About the club:

The University of York Volleyball Club is a large, diverse club with over 50 active members. At present, we field 4 teams in the British University and College Sport leagues with each team travelling all over the North-East for matches every Wednesday. All teams are highly competitive and finished within the top three of their respective leagues last year. Our Men’s Firsts team remained undefeated all year and are moving up in the Northern 1A league. All games for all teams are spectated both home and away and we also compete in larger competitions such as the BUCS Student Cup and Roses. Furthermore, the club hosts one of the North-East’s few sitting volleyball clubs which has been running for the past few years and our team now competes at national competitions.

When sessions are held:

Training times for our BUCS teams are on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. We run the beginners session in partnership with York Active on a Friday 4:30-5:30pm where you can come and try volleyball out under the instruction of our qualified coaches. The sitting volleyball sessions are Tuesdays 4:30-5:30pm in the tent and we’ll also be looking to coach some of the college volleyball sessions too! Come see us at freshers fair for all the information and dates of trials!

Why you should give it a go:

As a sport, volleyball practices your skill, fitness, strategic thinking and the desire to play as part of a team, but regardless of the level you play at, volleyball will help you develop things like coordination and cardiovascular ability. We’re a very sociable club with weekly events and regularly go out for meals/go karting etc, so there’s plenty to get involved in that isn’t just playing the sport! It also has the advantage of being a slightly less mainstream sport than others, meaning there’s the potential to rise through teams quickly. Whatever you want to get out of a sports club at uni, we’ve got level that can cater for that and a group of players to support you.