YUSU Officer Profiles: Millie Beach, YUSU President

Degree: English and History BA

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

What does your role entail?

The role of president is a pretty diverse one, on paper, it means that I provide direction for the union and that I’m a figurehead for the union. I sit on various committees to represent your views to the university and local community. I am also responsible for responding reactively to student issues on a uni, local, national and international platform.

What advice do you have for freshers?

Bring extra teaspoons, seriously, those things just seem to disappear! A door wedge is also super useful for meeting new people because you can prop your door open for housemates to come in. More than anything, I’d really advise you to get involved, your uni experience is really what you make of it, so go out and try something new, you might find it’s the best thing you’ve ever done.

What is your favourite thing about York?

The extensive waterfowl population is definitely not to be missed. Having said that, I chose York largely because of the city, and it hasn’t disappointed. Every time I go into the city, I discover a shop or cafe I didn’t know about, a piece of history I didn’t expect, or an event that I wasn’t expecting. The city is beautiful all year round, but going into the city around Christmas never fails to cheer me up.

When should people come to see you?

Whenever you like! I have quite a hectic schedule but if I’m in the office or around campus I’ll be really happy to talk to you. If I’m not in the office, drop me an email or message me on Facebook and we’ll work out a meeting. If you have ideas about policy, representation or are having an issue and don’t know where to go, I can probably point you in the right direction. Equally, comments and complaints can also come to me. Basically, if you have any questions or big ideas please come and say hi, I’d love to hear what you have to say and support you.