Club Profiles: YuSnow

How to get involved in Snowsports at the University of York

Image: YuSnow

Image: YuSnow

About the club:

YUsnow is York University’s biggest club, providing students the chance to experience snow sports at a student friendly, affordable price. We welcome all abilities, whether you’ve never skied or snowboarded before, or are an experienced seasonaire looking to compete. Every year we compete at national and regional competitions against universities all over the UK. We take bi-weekly trips to Castleford and weekly race training for those looking to improve their snow skills. Our bi-weekly socials are not to be missed; packed full of cheap drink deals and with York parties, shoeing, pennying and lots of laughs. With a different theme every social, it’s hard to miss us! Every year we host the biggest trip on campus, taking around 300 students during Easter break for a monumental week in the Alps, and we’ve even introduced a Christmas city trip. Both of our trips are the cheapest deals a student will find, and we pride ourselves on providing our members with a quality experience they’ll never forget! Not only that but YUsnow can offer discounted winter wear merchandise and free club entry to certain clubs and bars in York.

When sessions are held:

We hold weekly race sessions at Rossendale dry slope for anyone interested in racing for our team, or those who just want to improve their skills as a boarder or skier. As well as this, we hold bi-weekly freestyle sessions at Xscape snowdome in Castleford, giving members the opportunity to practise their freestyle skills or just have a ski/board on snow! Working closely with both centres over the years has allowed us to get the best discounts for the sessions, making it a bargain for our members.

Why you should give it a go:

One of our main aims as a club is to ensure everyone feels welcome, and anyone can get involved! Whether you’re just here for a good time on the socials, or you’re a complete powder shredder, or you’re just interested in our legendary annual trips, we want to make sure everyone has the best time possible! Because we host so many different types of events and socials, it means there is plenty of opportunity for students to meet some amazing new people with common interests, outside of their course.  After winning York University Club of the year last year, we are more determined than ever to keep providing our members with the best and most memorable experience of their time at University.