Club Profiles: Clay Pigeon Shooting

How to get involved with Clay Pigeon Shooting at the University of York

Image: UOY Shooting

Image: UYCPSC 

About the club:

The Clay Pigeon Shooting Club is a place for everyone to enjoy this elegant sport and spending time in the beautiful English countryside with people from diverse backgrounds. From beginners to very advanced members, we help everyone to work on their technique and scores. As a team we enjoy competing and proving our skills, but also socialising and relaxing, which means that those who want to shoot just for pleasure and those who treat training seriously can find space within the club.

When sessions take place:

Twice a week – on Wednesday (afternoon) and Saturday (morning) in Park Lodge, but this year we plan to visit other grounds to practice in varied environments. We go to competitions as well (for example BUCS or Roses), mainly on weekends. The cost of shooting session or competitions fully covers the transport, gun hire, cartridges and coaching from our more experienced members. If you want to try out Clay Pigeon Shooting just email us to book a place and come! The sessions are announced weekly, so feel free to sign up for our mailing list and come at any time of the term.

Why you should give it a go:

Clay Pigeon Shooting is an engaging sport with a long tradition in Great Britain. It is open for everyone, regardless of physical fitness, age or background. Also, an important part of shooting is its social side – walking around the shooting ground and chatting in the ground’s café is a great opportunity to meet people from all the departments and courses. This year, we are going to introduce new social events, both for those who enjoy the nightlife and for ones preferring daytime activities, such as paintball or The York Races.

Moreover, the University’s Shooting Club offers exceptionally low prices and transport, making this sport more accessible than normal clubs.