Jo Johnson: “EU students about to start courses will have student loans honoured”

The comments follow Britain’s decision to leave the EU and come at a time of uncertainty for many foreign nationals in the UK

Jo Johnson Universities minster Jo Johnson, brother of key ‘brexiteer’ Boris Johnson, has today announced that EU nationals and their family members currently studying in the UK will continue to receive their loans as usual until the end of their course.

Further adding to his statement, Johnson announced the that EU nationals preparing to study in the UK this coming Autumn will also have their student loans agreement with SLC (student loans company) honoured.

At the end of his brief statement he added that, “students should consult their universities student finance office, or the GOV.UK website, for more information on wha support they can receive”.

The statement is, however, little surprise to many students who point out that article 50, the two-year long mechanism through which the UK negotiates its exit from the EU, has yet to be triggered and won’t be until October at the earliest.

The comments also come at a time of wider political and economic uncertainty, with universities at the forefront of this uncertainty. Indeed, the University of York’s Vice-Chancellor himself announced that it is “difficult to assess the impact of this decision on the University” in an e-mail to students following the result last week.

Mr Lamberts did, however, also go on to state that “ [York] is a resilient institution with a global outlook, and that we will continue to deliver world-class teaching and research, collaborate internationally and run international student programmes”

For now students will have to rely on the reassurances set out from Mr Johnson and the Vice-Chancellor with regards to their position and opportunities.