Ben Leatham nominated for York Person of the Year award

Leatham was nominated for his work during the York floods

The YUSU President Ben Leatham has been shortlisted for the York Community Pride Person of the Year award, primarily for his efforts during the December flooding in York.

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Nominated by Stephanie Pearson, the University of York’s research development co-ordinator, she said that Ben “went the extra mile by cutting his Christmas holidays short.”

Leatham returned to York in December and cycled to affected areas taking photographs and providing information to Nouse to keep students informed about the extent of flooding in student housing.

Responding to news of his nomination, Leatham said: “I am incredibly honoured to have been nominated for the award. The Christmas floods were devastating for many people and I’m glad I could be useful in some way.”

The award was won last year by Kenneth Butterfield for his dedication to helping York’s young people through his involvement with the York air cadets.

Sophie Raffan, a first year student said “I was really impressed with the lengths Ben went to over Christmas to keep students informed during the flooding, and am pleased that he’s been recognised for this.”

There are a total of ten individual award categories including teacher of the year and a public sector hero award.

The awards ceremony for the Community Pride awards 2016 will be held at York Racecourse in October and three finalists from each category will receive invitations.