Societies fail to spend £22,000 in YUSU grant money in 2015/16

A large number of funding given to societies has gone unspent

Image: @Doug88888

Image: @Doug88888

It has emerged that a total of £21,908.01 allocated to University of York societies in 2015/16 has gone unspent, according to data obtained by Nouse. YUSU allocated £67,500 at the start of 2015/16 between 108 societies included in the grant. This means that over 32 per cent of funds dispensed at the beginning of the year have not been spent.

The total amount that was requested by societies this year was £248,213.68, around £180,000 more than was actually granted to societies, and over £200,000 more than the societies have spent during the last 12 months.

Just 28 of the 108 societies who received the grant have spent all of their funding from the past year, meaning that 80 societies have seen at least some of their YUSU funding go unused, which is described by YUSU’s Student Activities Officer Chris Wall as “not unusual”.

As many as 1 in 3 societies have failed to spend a single penny of funding received from YUSU. Elsewhere, a total of 68 societies still have over £50 left to spend, 51 still have over £100 at their disposal, and 5 societies have as much as £1000 remaining.

The President of one society told Nouse that they think it is “extremely unclear as to why societies should not make the most of funding available to them to make improvements”.
Wall further commented: “It is not unusual for the full allocation of grants to have not been spent at this stage in the academic year but the figure is higher than we would expect.

Claims are however being submitted by students on a daily basis so this is unlikely to be the final year end figure.  If we reach the year’s end next month and any unspent funds are still remaining we will ensure that the money goes back into supporting students.”