Menswear trends to dominate summer 2016

reviews the top men’s summer fashion trends

1. Green is Good

Green has been loitering in and out of popularity for some time now, though with recent collections it has came straight to the forefront. Though this time of year naturally petitions for slightly brighter and more obvious tones than it’s previous seasons, green is good here when chosen in more of a subtle tone. However, that’s not to say that you should be subtle with your usage of it, with many recent collections adopting the green-on-green approach.

2. Pattern Overload

pattern overload

Image: Indigital – From left to right; Dolce & Gabbana, Yohji Yamamoto, Neil Barrett, Gucci

Rather than the typical manner to patterns being a dominance of one in particular, recent experimentation with patterns has took the anything-goes approach. Though this comes with certain rules to attain to; keeping accessories, shoes and any non-patterned item minimalistic in order to avoid too loud of an ensemble. The trick here is to opt for a head-to-toe pattern in allowing it to speak for itself.

3. Silk Bomber

silk bomber

Image: The Fashionisto – Harry Styles embraces the silk on Good Morning America

A/W’s tsunami of bombers have continued to wave into Summer through there descendance of material from cotton to silk. Taking a more appropriate approach to the summer, whilst allowing for a synergy of the patterns overload trend.

4. Wide Trouser

wide leg

Image: Indigital – From left to right; Giorgio Armani, Craig Green, Fendi, Etro, Lavin.

After a seemingly never-ending decade of skinny trousers and the continual inundations with every season to go tighter, baggy trousers seemed to be the natural occurrence in the backlash of this trend. Though this trend has been dormant in popularity for four decades, with exception of Bowie’s liking for them, this re-birthed trend seems here to stay.

5. Hawaiian Shirts 

hawaiin

Image: Topman, £30

Your comical shirt for fancy dress occasions is now casually cool. Throw this underneath a jacket and you are ready for anything. Such an increase in popularity can be found in there diversity, alike the Japanese reference trend, can be adapted for the individual, whilst appealing to the mass.

6.Suede Jackets

suede jacket

Image: The fashionisto – Nick Jonas embraces the suede

The growing popularity of the Seventies, overtaking the Nineties as the most referenced decade in fashion, has brought with it a sea of suede. One to keep protected and hanged appropriately to avoid a stressed effect, as this look should be saved for denim only.

7. Cuban Collars 

cuban collars

Image: Indigital – Left to right; Topman, Louis Vuitton, Lanvin, Valentino

Non-conforming to the traditional tied collar approach to formal wear, the cuban collar offers one the freedom of the neckline, whilst being suitable for both casual and formal wear.A trend which has swam into recent catwalks on the sea of its fellows, the Cuban Collar discriminates to no one particular look through it’s ability to be combined with many other trends.

8. Blue Blazer 

blue blazer

Image: Massimo Dutti – David Gandy dons shades of blue on the streets of New York

As with every year at this time, there is a natural incline towards this popular and reliable colour. One which will always remain timeless, blue blazers are now accepted in more than just the traditional navy. Opt for something more adventurous than the norm and team baby blue with a darker shade for a cool twist on your usual blue.

9. Socks & Sandals 

sock&sandals

Image: Indigital – From left to right; Maison Margiela, Bottega Veneta, Versace, Kenzo

The German tourist look that everybody seems to mock has been donned on many runways in recent times. Though, it does not take the traditionally ridiculed approach – in recent times it is paired through leather sandals and luxurious cotton socks.