Abusive commentary at Roses Darts match

Discriminatory comments made at Roses Darts tournament

Roses Logo 2016 Following Roses 2016, details have emerged of unsporting and discriminatory behaviour from commentators at the Women’s and Men’s Darts tournaments.

The annual Darts competitions took place on Sunday 1 May at Lancaster University. Lancaster came out on top in both tournaments with 5 points to York’s 4 on each occasion.
YUSU Sport President Grace Clarke has spoken out against the conduct of Lancastrian commentators at the Roses 2016 competition, assuring students that alleged sexist and body shaming comments are being fully investigated.

Clarke also commended the positive work that both universities have taken in creating a more equal, diverse and accessible Roses tournament. She went on to state how both universities will shortly be meeting to begin planning Roses 2017, set to be held at York.

Clarke told Nouse: “For the first time at Roses 2016, both Lancaster and York team captains from every sport signed a pledge to respect the Rose, to act in a respectful manner demonstrating ultimate sportsmanship. However, clearly the conduct of the commentators at Lancaster Roses Darts was not in the spirit of this pledge.

“YUSU takes discrimination extremely seriously, we acted quickly and immediately contacted Lancaster to ensure they took appropriate action. We have been advised that they will investigate and use the relevant disciplinary procedures to address those students directly involved at Lancaster.

“Very shortly, we will meet with Lancaster to begin discussions and plans for Roses 2017 with a strong commitment to equality and diversity at the top of our agenda to ensure the same issues do not arise at York next year.”

It is not yet clear what exactly the comments made were.