York Festival of Ideas: Owen Jones and Yvette Cooper are coming to York

Major names from politics, economics, the arts and science all set to participate in the event

Image Credit: Miquel Garcia

Image Credit: Miquel Garcia

The sixth York Festival of Ideas 2016 is set to take place between 7-19 June with over 150 events planned during the period. This years theme, ‘Tick Tock’, will be discussed in a number of ways in free events across the city of York with the aim of ‘educating, entertaining and inspiring people of all ages and interests’.

The festival will open with an exploration of humanities close proximity to a global catastrophe, with major names in the scientific community, including Sivan Kartha and Dr. Beyza Unal, set to explore a report into the rising threat of climate change and nuclear arms proliferation.

Seven focus days will then follow, with explorations into the EU referendum, the refugee crisis, flooding, food sources, health and wellbeing.

Some of the major speakers set to arrive in the city include; former Chancellor of the Exchequer Lord Lawson, former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Yvette Cooper MP, Justice Brenda Hale; economist John Kay and journalist Owen Jones.

Key highlights will include the opening night discussion of the Doomsday Clock, a creation of the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists nearly 70 years ago to track annually humanities closeness to catastrophe, interactive exhibitions on the history of the surgical revolution and a look into the science behind the TV show Breaking Bad.

Joan Concannon, Director of York Festival of Ideas, said: “Each year, the Festival showcases the power of ideas and research by York academics and brings fantastic speakers and performers to York. We are really proud that the Festival has become a key part of the cultural and intellectual life of our city and region and thanks to our incredible sponsors is able to provide so many wonderful free events. I would like to encourage everyone to come along and help us celebrate the rich and diverse strengths of our amazing city and the incredible power of ideas.”

The full programme and details of ticketing can be found here.