White Rose Trophy 2016

UYCC’s George Dabby talks to about the yearly grudge match between the University of York and York St. John

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

This Sunday marks the third anniversary of the White Rose Trophy. The festival crowns one college or sports team winner of the inter-campus cricket tournament before hundreds of spectators gather to witness the annual grudge match in the T20 blast between the University of York and York St John.

Nouse talks to UYCC President, George Dabby, to find out about what players and spectators can look forward to on Sunday.
Q) What is the White Rose Trophy and how did it start?

A) A few years ago the presidents of York and YSJ came together and thought about ways that the two clubs could spectacle the cricketing rivalry between these two Yorkshire universities. We decided to make this the annual event and I’m pleased to say that York has never let the trophy go.
Q) And the campus tournament? What should we expect from that?

A) The campus tournament is great fun and showcases the best of cricketing ability outside the club. It’s 8 a side matches that last 6 overs each innings, so you can expect a lot of big hitting and entertainment.
Q) Any names to look out for?

A) I imagine Football will have some boys who can hit a long ball, so Hockey will have to be careful in their first match, although we’ve had a lot of crossovers between Hockey and Cricket, so no doubt they’ll have some good players too. A really good one will be Rugby vs Derwent College in the second semi-final. There’s no love lost between the two and I can’t see Fred Weld lasting a match without dishing out a few verbals.
Q) And how confident should York be about retaining the White Rose Trophy?

A) Very. There’s no question of our side’s pedigree and Rob Carr is captaining a very good side that’s starting to hit some form in BUCS cricket. If we can get backed by a big home crowd then I think our chances are very good.
Q) Which names should we look out for in the York X1?

A) All of the X1 are excellent cricketers capable of winning games by themselves, but batting wise you can’t look past Rob Carr, but Callum Mcilveen is also capable of destroying an attack. In the bowling Rob Basu will be a real handful and there won’t be many runs taken off Adam Berryman.
Q) Why should York students come down to 22 Acres to support on Sunday?

A) For one thing, the forecast is set to bright sunshine at 20 degrees, so it’s the perfect opportunity to bring some friends and have a drink in the sun. We’ve got a marquee and seating area roped off for spectators where they can get a wide selection of drinks for the cheapest prices on campus. If that’s not enough we’ve got an all-day barbecue, bouncy castle and a DJ set playing during intervals. It’s as close as York will get to Ibiza.
Q) And the event is being run for charity this year?

A) Yes. Even more reason to come. Yorkshire Cancer Research is our main sponsor this year and we’re trying to help them raise money for all the work they do in our community. They’ll be down with a tent for the day handing out information packs and they will also be going round with a bucket taking donations. They’re big supporters of cricket in York so we want to do our bit for them. The more people that come on the day, the more we can support their work in York.
Q) And lastly, what’s the order of the day?

A) Just get yourself down for 11am when the campus tournament will start between Football and Hockey, followed by Rugby and Derwent. Between 2 and 2.30pm will the big match between York and YSJ begin, which should all finish around 6-6.30pm. So just bring a blanket and get down to 22 Acres!