Stonegate Tarmac to be replaced by June

The repairs to Stonegate costing £30,000 – £50,000 are part of a £1 million project

Temporary Tarmac repairs to Stonegate are to be replaced with new York stone paving.

Image: James Hall

Image: James Hall

The planned improvements are due to take place in June and will cost between £30,000 – £50,000, and will part of a larger series of repairs to public spaces in the city costing up to £1 million.

A petition was started by Alex Slingsby to have the Tarmac replaced with suitable paving stones and now has over 2,700 signatures, and claims: “York is a tourist haven for people who want authenticity, not a quick fix attempt at a few broken slabs.”

Cllr Ian Gillies, Executive Member of Transport and Planning at City of York Council, said: “We recognise that major investment is needed to improve parts of the city centre, including Stonegate. Officers are already working on options for the city centre, which I’ve asked for, and are preparing a report to be brought forward soon.

“This will include how we can fund and repair key parts of the city centre’s public spaces and also options on how we can make Stonegate fit for purpose for the future and reduce the cost of ongoing repairs. Early estimates put this cost at up to £1million.

Image: James Hall

Image: James Hall

“The council is currently sourcing new York stone paving for Stonegate which will be restored in June. Tarmac repairs were always a temporary measure to replace broken paving stones and we recognise the importance of completing the stone paving in June. These repairs will cost in the region of £30,000 – £50,000, but is far more cost effective than replacing them all individually.

“The quality of York’s city centre public spaces are fundamental to sustaining the city’s present and future prosperity, which is important to everyone who lives, works or visits York.”