BUCS Cycling races to be held in York for a third time

The event is to be held between 28 and 29 May

The University of York Cycling Club (UYCC) will be hosting the BUCS road and circuit races for a third time.

The event will be held on the 28 to 29 May with events spread across the weekend. Men’s and women’s road races will be held from 10am on the Saturday and circuit races will take place form 1 pm on the Sunday at the York Sport Village on the Heslington East campus.

Image: Andrew Johnston, York Sport

Image: Andrew Johnston, York Sport

The road races will follow the Bulmer – Terrington circuit, which paces passes through some of Yorkshire’s most scenic countryside and villages. The race HQ is to be located in Sheriff Hutton, 10 miles north of York.

The men’s race will be 77 miles and the women’s 44 miles, including the infamous 1:6 gradient Bulmer Bank Hill.

There will be over 140 of the best cyclists from universities across the country competing to become the university road race champion.

The circuit races will include a range of abilities from novice, to elite racers, who will have ridden in the road race on the day before. The races will be free to watch and spectators are encouraged to come to the York Sport Cycling Circuit.

Previous BUCS races have seen podium finishing students go on to become full-time professional cyclists, such as Hayley Simmons, Edmund Bradbury and last year’s winner Rory Townsend of St Mary’s University and Pedal Heaven race team.

Dean Downing, an ex-British national champion, who won the Yorkshire nationals on the same course in 2008 said: “I would say the course is a wearing down course, as it is hard roads and constantly up and down.

“In 2008 I waited and with another rider we caught the breakaway late on. With the 1 in 6 climb of Bulmer Bank so far from the finish, it’s not really a winning move climb. But taking this climb in each lap you could lose the race here if your legs crack.”

There will be three riders representing UYCC in the men’s race: Alastair Hepworth, a final year electronics student, Ed Giles, a first year Law student and James McKay, a first year philosophy student. They have all been training on the course and we are hoping that the home advantage will count.

A UYCC spokesperson said: “It’s going to be a spectacular event and we would like to encourage as many people as possible to make the short trip to spectate.”

More information can be found on the event’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1752547771647499/?ti=icl