York’s women champions at Roses 2016

This year’s Roses may have gone to Lancaster but York’s ladies shone the brightest

@UYWRUFC

@UYWRUFC

York’s Ladies took centre stage in Roses 2016, with oustanding victories for many of the White Rose’s best Women’s teams, including phenomenal scores in Rugby Sevens, Football and Lacrosse. These successes were accompanied by the ‘This Roses Girl Can’ campaign for equality of opportunity in sport.

The campaign, according to York Sport President Grace Clarke, promotes “the true strength and power of women in Sport”.

Though overall York suffered a heavy defeat 216.5-138.5 in this year’s clash (the last away Roses  saw the home side win by a margin of 57 as opposed to this year’s  78) UYWAFC’s staggering 0-7 victory in the first ever Women’s Football Opening Ceremony was a landmark occasion.

With Captain Alisha Miller and Romy Fernandez Reumann each bagging a hat trick, the pace of play for York’s Women teams was set from the off.

Women’s Rugby Club UYWRUFC also had superb showings in their Union Sevens Firsts and  Seconds matches on the Friday. The Firsts midday game finished 5-22  with an electric quality of play being set by the visitors, and the Seconds took the point on offer with a respectable 12-15.

The Lacrosse was however the talking point of York’s weekend. The Women’s side, already famed for their form, commenced a display of  unstoppable force as they accrued goal after goal to make the final scoreline 1-28.The Cheerleading squad also delivered a knock-out performance and added another four points to the overall total for their 0-4 win.

York’s men were, of course, no less intrepid, with a particular highlight from across the weekend coming in the form of American Football (a closely fought bout finishing 14-18).
Grace Clarke remained hopeful of a win as the Sunday morning commenced, but that resolve was tested as Lancaster came within  26 points of victory early in the morning, and went on to win just after 1pm.

She praised the efforts of all involved, commenting: “The dedication, determination and passion York played with was absolutely inspiring and it is confirmation to everyone involved the true impact of sport on every students’ wellbeing, confidence and personal development. The weather was grim at the best of times but York spirits definitely shone through.”

In the overall history of Roses, York leads Lancaster by 26 tournaments to 25.