UYAFC lose out in tense stand-offs

UYAFC lost all of their Roses games in Lancaster but could be proud of their performances despite doing so

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

It was a difficult weekend for UYAFC in Lancaster as the White Rose fell to defeat in each of the five Men’s Football contests it took part in.

Football at Roses has a reputation for being scrappy and tense; the Firsts game, played in front of a bumper crowd on Friday afternoon, was no different.

The game’s flashpoint came in the first five minutes when York striker Dalton Harris, starting due to Josh Bew’s injury, planted an elbow into the face of Lancaster captain Ben Finch. The visitors carved out several openings in the first half, with Garo Heath forcing a neat save at the near post.

After half-time Finch – stoked by the early injustice – fired home a left-footed volley from seven yards following a corner that was unforgivably allowed to bounce twice in the box to give Lancaster the lead.

As York looked to force an opening Andy Balzan was forced into two saves under his crossbar, before Heath had the golden chance when his curling shot struck the angle of bar and post with ten minutes to play.

UYAFC’s second string, without captain Euan Bell, were unable to put away early chances and were duly punished in a 3-1 defeat on Friday lunchtime.

York’s makeshift back four stood up well in the first half and Michael Garn had two good opportunities for the opener.

Lancaster got the first in the 48th minute from long range after Knifton-Smith’s header fell to a midfielder, who fired low into the net. It was 2-0 as the away side looked to chase the game, when a Lancaster winger travelled 30 yards with the ball across goal and whipped it home.

It was clearly not York’s day when Omar Chadli missed an absolute sitter from five yards and the referee, poor throughout, inexplicably blew up for a foul twenty yards back with Cameron McLarty clean through.

The Red Rose went out of sight when Max Donnell-Ford’s fine save on the line after a corner fell to their captain, who forced home from ten yards. Andrew Naylor got a consolation for the White Rose.

In spite of results, there were several, characterful individual displays across the board and plenty of young players will benefit richly from the experience.

York Firsts: Balzan; Weighall, Shelbourn, McCormick, Fox; Gamble, Nestor, Coathup; Fotheringham, Harris, Heath

York Seconds: Donnell-Ford; Naylor, Lewis, Girzadas, Birtles; Maney, Boyle, Knifton-Smith, Garn; Tester; McLarty