Visitors shine in high-scoring battle

Image: Jack Richardson

Image: Jack Richardson

Men’s Basketball Seconds wasn’t worth any points on Sunday morning, but the skill and effort of York’s team exemplified the White Rose’s commitment to the tournament. York’s Basketball Seconds wasted no time on the court and took an early lead against a solid Lancaster side, powering on into the second quarter leading 25-9. York’s Baldwin made a real impact on the game shooting from range and consistently scoring three points.
Faced with his clinical accuracy at distance, Lancaster’s defence became more and more ineffectual and by the halfway mark they were losing 48-18. Lancaster managed to regain some composure and after a couple of subs contested the third quarter pretty evenly, scoring 19 points to York’s 13. However, the deficit was too large to overcome and by the final ten Lancaster were staring down a mighty 61-37 lead to York.
However, it was in the final quarter that York really came into their own; Brown and Schreiber who had been industrious all game, stepped it up a gear and caused mayhem on the offensive. Schreiber took it upon himself to speed up the tempo of the game during a lull and screened two Lancaster players in a crowded key, allowing Brown to cut in and score with a layup.
Lancaster never really threatened to get back into the game after that move and it was left to York to see just how many points they could score. Faced with an encamped Lancaster, Chawatama proved key in possession, dictating the flow of the game, creating chances and making sure Lancaster couldn’t quickly swap from defence to offence.
Lancaster’s frustration became apparent towards the end and the game did threaten to become physical. Big man Akinrinwa found himself knocked to the ground, but was quickly back on his feet smiling it off and straight back into the thick of the action, as he had been all game.
York finished comfortable winners, seeing the last few minutes off in complete control. The game finished 86-47, and the visitors were sorely unlucky that this superb performance wasn’t worth points.