Ten points split in lengthy face-off

Image: Lily Grant

Image: Lily Grant

One of Roses’ longest events was the Archery taking place on Rugby Pitch 2 on Saturday. Lancaster and York brought with them reasonably large teams which had to be whittled down to three for each of the categories.
As such, qualifying was a drawn out process with many rounds of arrows being needed to determine the best novice and senior archers. The weather was not on the side of the teams as the rain poured down early in qualifying, forcing the supporters under the gazebos but failing to perturb the brave archers, who ploughed through the storm.
It took around three hours for qualifying to be completed by which time the Lancaster hosts had decided to change the afternoon’s head to head format from 72 arrows each to a much shorter first to 6 set points arrangement.
The sun finally came out in the afternoon and up first were the novices with Florence Oxley, Jared Stoughton and Joe Ash representing York. Their match was a close one with the first set being declared a draw as line breaks went against York.
After this Lancaster went on to win the rest of the very close sets, the final score being 6 – 1 to Lancaster. Malachy Evans, Adam Brinded and Dave Shaw represented York in the senior competition achieving some high scores, including the much sought after 10 points with some of their shots. A nail biting and at times agonisingly close match ended in Lancaster winning 6 – 0.
Archery was worth a highly significant 10 points for Roses; Lancaster took the 6 on offer for the team events and went on to gain a further 3 in the novice female, senior male and senior female individual rounds.
York managed to earn a much respected point from the novice male category with Joe Ash winning that portion of the competition for the white rose.

Despite their losses York seemed upbeat about their chances for next year’s competition with the hope that potential new training grounds will help them to improve their outdoor game and force Lancaster into an even closer competition in 2017.