Netball teams put up valiant displays

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Saturday evening saw the Firsts team crumble in the wake of Lancaster – making it of paramount importance that the Seconds and Thirds came back determined to turn it around.
The atmosphere was far more serious than that of the previous game and the ball was being thrown with even greater intent. Aiding the situation was the fact that unlike Lancaster’s Firsts, their Seconds are second bottom in their league and that became apparent as the game unfolded. Of the many sports I watched over the weekend netball was notably strict with their officiating. On Saturday the Firsts were picked up repeatedly for travelling and obstruction.
This lessened slightly on the Sunday but there was still an almost alarming amount of scrutiny. It was frustrating to see strong passes and patterns of play stopped for penalties that were contentious. The Seconds game began strongly and York were marginally more dominant in terms of possession for three of the four quarters played. The first however was particularly close as the score line increased shot by shot for each team. York’s goal shoot Craven was most definitely on form as she was successful first time for the majority of the opportunities she was given. Equally when Craven did miss she was more than able to fight to get it back for a second shot or turn for support from goal attack Ross.
Lancaster’s defence were also not as good, compared to the performance of the Firsts the previous day. Even York’s Grace Baker had struggled to receive. At the end of the first quarter on Sunday the score was considerably less however: 6-4 to Lancaster.
As the game continued though time and time again the teams equalised. It wasn’t until the final quarter – that saw notable play from Davey and Gatcombe in defence – that any real advantage was made by York. Lancaster petered at 17 while York continued on to 24. It was this difference that allowed the Seconds to go on to win. After the disappointment of Saturday the success on Sunday for both the Seconds and Thirds was a happy affair and well deserved.