Hockey vanguard reaps rewards for York

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

On Roses Saturday, Lancaster’s astro was a York stronghold as UYHC stormed to an unbeaten record across six matches.
A 4-3 loss in the Indoor Men’s Seconds game on Friday lunchtime was the only time the visitors tasted defeat in a hockey fixture across the weekend. On a day that would ultimately prove fatal to the White Rose’s chances of retaining the Carter-James Trophy, hockey provided a steady stream of crucial points.

The first-half of the Men’s Firsts game was turgid fare as two nervy teams fought it out for four key points. In a game of few chances and fewer spells of creativity, Leo Watton made a nuisance of himself in the final third but all was still to play for at the interval.

It was Watton who opened the scoring after the break when he turned the ball in at the back post from six yards with a scrappy finish that gave York a precious lead. Andrew Watters made it two ten minutes later when, following a succession of penalty corners, he applied the finishing touch from the left hand side of the box at close quarters.

Lancaster looked disjointed going forward and a sin-binning didn’t help their chances, although they took heart when a York striker fluffed a fine chance. They extracted a number of penalty corners but couldn’t convert them.

In the Seconds game, Harrison Carter gave York an early lead and wheeled away in front of the York support in what was most charitably described as a unique way of celebrating his goal.This opener and a first half strike from the consistently outstanding James Belbin, who controlled the tempo of the game from midfield, effectively killed the game against a Lancaster side whose forward play – particularly from set pieces – was nothing short of chaotic at times. Carter and Johnston had further chances to increase the margin of victory.

The gulf in class between the two sides in the Threes game was more evident in the scoreline, with the away side triumphing 6-0. The Men’s branch of UYHC can now boast of not conceding an outdoor goal at Roses for two years, an admirable feat.