Science Snippets

Dolphin drive out

The Bay of Islands, New Zealand, famous for its bottlenose dolphin population will have to step up its boating regulations as numbers have plummeted. It was found that between 2012 and 2015, 75 per cent of bottlenose dolphin calves observed were suspected to have died before reaching independence. This is compared to 52 per cent in a 2009 study. Dolphins in the Northland area spend 86 per cent of daylight hours in the presence of at least one boat, and their behaviour can be affected by noise.

Image: Peter Liu

Image: Peter Liu

Streaming from your liver

A recent study has proved that you could use a pork loin to transmit a wireless signal with a connection strong enough to stream high-quality definition video. Devices designed to be implanted in human flesh, such as pace makers exist, but contact with them is limited. If this technology becomes commonplace, it could help avoid invasive surgeries.  But more testing is needed. A loin will certainly not behave the same way as a human heart or lung, let along layers of organs. Read more at nouse.co.uk/science/

Picture 5

Image: Dr P. Marazzi/Science Photo Library

Space marathon

Tim Peake, at the International Space Station, was the first man to run a marathon in space. A time of 3 hours, 35 minutes and 21 seconds, he ran alongside the London marathon, watching as motivation. The first person, Sunita Williams, ran alongside the Boston Marathon in 2007. Astronauts partake in an average of two hours of exercise per day to prevent aerobic fitness and muscle strength deterioration. Although loaded with only 70 per cent of their body weight, a full marathon is no easy feat.