Exam season style

looks at how to stay chic when the stress goes up a gear

In the midst of exam season, all normal standards of dressing seem to disappear under the weight of – let’s face it – far more pressing issues. Granted, even the simple tasks of eating healthily, getting enough sleep and staying sane are hard enough while trying to cram in as much revision as humanly possible. Add to that the task of getting dressed in the morning and you can see where priorities lie. Yet, while these are legitimate reasons for donning the same grotty tracksuit bottoms for five days in a row, I have always been a firm believer that how you dress does influence how you feel towards the day ahead. In simple terms: If you look like you’ve got it together, you’re more likely to feel like you do. Without having to put much thought into your day’s outfit, this list of fool-proof exam standbys can be thrown on in the morning, allowing you to stay chic and comfortable throughout exams.

Dungarees

Girl TopshopTS05P12JMDT Zoom M 1

Image: Topshop – £49

Whether you opt for classic 90s denim dungarees, or one of the range of exciting patterns and colours out there, the dungaree trend which saw a revival in 2015 isn’t showing any signs of disappearing. In either black, stone or destressed denim, dungarees give a playful outfit an edge. Throw a pair over a plain t-shirt for cool, preppy exam style which definitely isn’t trying too hard.

Backpacks

UO 5771597061003 040 g

Image: Urban Outfitters – £67

2015 saw backpacks emerging in every fabric and style, from faux fur to butter-soft leather and patterned canvas. Without stating the obvious, backpacks are incredibly practical for carting around textbooks and revision notes, with the added benefit of channelling effortless student style. Ditch the handbag and grab yourself a sturdy and stylish backpack instead.

Trainers

ASOS image1xxl

Image: ASOS – £65

The boundaries between sports and fashion footwear are becoming more blurred, with brands such as Adidas and Nike holding huge waiting lists for their coveted shoe styles. Invest your money in shopping for a sturdy pair of trainers. A colourful pair of kicks can boost a plain outfit and brighten a grey day. New Balance are a personal favourite brand for their diverse range of styles and ethical manufacturing.

Sweaters

Edited 2 Vintage 53689c30 d646 460d b93b 2ec94f2463c8 large

Image: ASOS marketplace – £38

Logos adorned every item of clothing imaginable on the Spring/Summer 2016 catwalks, and there’s no easier way to nod to the trend than in a cosy sweater. There’s also something very comforting about hiding beneath thick folds of material. Am I wearing a t-shirt underneath? Perhaps. Did I get so distracted by revision that I forgot to put a bra on this morning? Who knows?